I have been receiving reports from family and friends in New England about the crazy amounts of snow that Just. Keeps. Falling. My sister hasn’t worked on a Monday in about a month and recently remarked “This winter is no joke, Rebecca!” And if Boston-based kindie artist and event producer Karen K (for Kalafatas) is any indication, the prognosis is not good, my friends. Not good at all.
I reached out to Karen earlier this week just to catch up, and she seemed, um, off, to say the least. Karen, the usually sunny front person to her band Karen K & the Jitterbugs and producer of the rockin’ Kids Really Rock family music festival, just didn’t seem like herself. She spoke in short, frantic sentences as if she’d forgotten how to interact with humans, and her usual warmth was well, cold, as though it had been locked up in an icebox. I think her eye might have been twitching while she was talking to me.
Admittedly, I was a little worried about both of them, and the rest of my friends and family in the New England region. Especially after my sister sent me a photo of a 4-lane road in Boston reduced to 1 1/2 lanes. But music heals, right? So I asked Karen to create a kindie playlist to describe her experience, and her mood – and the mood of Boston and the people of New England – since they’ve been hit by all this snow (and more is on the way!). This was her response.
By the way, Boston is expecting more snow this weekend. In the words of Karen herself, “God Speed, New England. God Speed.”
A Friggin Snow-Tastic Kindie Playlist, with Love From Boston
Click on the song names below to download the music and support a kindie artist today! Especially ones that might be inside for the rest of the year.
- Snow Day – Justin Roberts, Jungle Gym
Aw, Justin is right! Snow days are so fun! But I’m guessing a song entitled “Snow Day #416 And Counting” would have a completely different groove. Like maybe a funeral march. But you know. Just a guess.
- Salmon Song – Jazzy Ash, Home
Because salmon reminds me of Alaska. And Alaska reminds me that we basically live there now.
- S-N-O-W-M-A-N – Billy Kelly, Thank You for Joining the Happy Club
Yeah. It’s gotten so bad, we’re actually dreaming in S-N-O-W.
- Play With Me – Big Bang Boom – Songs Your Mom Will Like
1) Play 2) With 3) Me. The top three words uttered this winter in a household with children, next to 1) Snow Day 2) $&*&#* and 3) #(*^$@&
- Valentine – Laura Doherty, Shining Like a Star
Hey, look at that! You made so many crafty-hearty-cute-and-Pinterest-worthy Valentines over your snow days that you can send one to every person on your Holiday Card list! Which is great, since you’ve been so busy complaining about the weather this winter, you completely forgot to mail your holidays cards. Again.
- Don’t Wake the Baby – Audra Rox, I Can Do It By Myself
Yes, whatever you do, do NOT wake the baby. Or me. Try not to wake me.
- Glitter Everywhere – The Pop Ups, Appetite for Construction
Endless inside time + crafts = of course. But not even a snowblower is gonna get that glitter out of your house. Ever.
- Crayons in a Box – Steve Elci & Friends, Crayons in a Box
Again, crayons second only to glitter.
- Daddy’s Snoring – Mister G, The Bossy E
Yes. Yes, he is. And it’s 3:00 in the afternoon. On a Wednesday.
- Sippy Cup – Hullabaloo, Tall As A Tree
Are we SURE that’s coffee in Mommy’s sippy cup? ‘Cause it’s been snowing since October, and she seems a little off. Just sayin…
- Pancakes for Dinner – Karen K & the Jitterbugs, Pancakes for Dinner
Because the key to snow day survival is a horrible, horrible diet.
- Who Stole the Cookies – Lucky Diaz & the Family Jam Band, A Potluck
Seriously. Who stole the last cookie? Because roads are undriveable, stores are closed, and we’re stuck here with NO CHOCOLATE FOR THE NEXT THREE DAYS.
- PJs All Day – Secret Agent 23 Skidoo, The Perfect Quirk
“Honey, have you seen Offspring?”
“Um, no…not in about 8 hours.” Translation: “Not since I went to work (in the dining room) and left you on the couch in the exact same position you are in now…”
- Time to Brush Our Teeth – Brady Rymer, Look at My Belly
Because yes, you were snow-lucinating when you heard Michelle Obama say she is going to add teeth-brushing to the Let’s Move initiative as a legitimate form of exercise. This totally. Does. Not. Count.
- TV’s Watching Me – The Not-Its, Tag, You’re It!
That moment you realize Peg is not really your daughter and you don’t own a Cat. (Also, Meredith Baxter Birney is not your friend, and falling asleep on the couch watching Lifetime movies does not equal having a slumber party with her. I repeat: This is not real and she is not your friend. Wait, did you hear that? What was that noise? Ohmygodsomeone’sbreakinginandtryingtokillme… helpmeMeredithhelpme!!!!)
- Back to School – Joanie Leeds & the Nightlights, Bandwagon
Did someone say school? THERE’S SCHOOL TOMORROW???? OhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygoshBestnewseverBestnewseverBestnews…Wait a minute. Was there homework this week? ((*R$^%*&(*)(^&$%#$#$*&^&$%$#%^*&!!!!!!!!
- Snow Day – Eric Herman and the Invisible Band, Snow Day!
BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, like you’re ever going back to school. Forecast says more snow. Translation: You’re screwed. (But, hey, at least this song is only 42 seconds long. Unlike the MAMMOTH snow storm on the way…)
- M.T.A. – Ben Rudnick & Friends, Blast Off
Poor Charlie. If only he’s waited for Winter 2015, when Mayor Marty Walsh CLOSED THE MBTA COMPLETELY DOWN for 2 DAYS. Ah, one man’s fate would have been so different. Sorry, Charlie.
- Mean People – Lori Henriques, Outside My Door
Because New Englanders are friendly as long as you don’t make eye contact or speak. And that’s on a sunny day.
- Snow Globe – Lunch Money, Original Friend
Because we live in one. Because we freakin’ live in one. (And also, glitter.)
- Meltdown – Justin Roberts, Meltdown!
Because when the snow won’t melt, something has to.
- Amen!! – Josh & the Jamtones, Amen!! Holiday Singles Collection – EP
Because right now all we can do is pray. And because we know Tom Brady is listening, and that he can make this madness stop.
- Stop Your Sobbing – Stacey Peasley, Lucky Day
Aw, you’re so right! We should totally stop complaining. Until summer, when I hear it’s gonna be SUPER hot…
- Happy Place – Mista Cookie Jar, & the Chocolate Chips, Ultramagnetic Universal Love Revolution
We would like to go to there.
- The Very Best Thing – Trout Fishing in America, The Very Best Thing – Single
Hear that, snow? Love wins. It isn’t always easy, but family is everything. And having someone to share the crazy with is the very best thing.
- Forever Young – Randy Kaplan, The Kids Are All Id
Because you’re not as old as that couch has made you feel. Because you laughed deeper than the snow while frolicking outside with your Small Human. And because let’s face it: You just binged watched 5 seasons of Parenthood and cried the entire time.
- It’s a Sunny Day – Boogers, Extractum Victoris
Hoooray!!!!! It’s Spring!!!!!!
JUST KIDDING. HERE’S THE REAL BONUS TRACK:
- Snow Day – Trout Fishing in America, Merry Fishes to All
You silly fools. Of COURSE that’s snow falling outside.
God speed, New England, and see you on the other side. (In other words, August. See you in August…)